The move to investigate Gaddafi’s death was a stark contrast to the National Transitional Council’s previous insistence that he had died in a crossfire during fighting in Sirte.
“With regards to Gaddafi, we do not wait for anybody to tell us,” Abdel Hafiz Ghoga, NTC vice chairman told a news conference in Benghazi.
“We had already launched an investigation. We have issued a code of ethics in [the] handling of prisoners of war. There were some violations by those who are unfortunately described as revolutionaries. I am sure that was an individual act and not an act of revolutionaries or the national army,” the top interim official said.
“We had issued a statement saying that any violations of human rights will be investigated by the NTC. Whoever is responsible for that (Gaddafi’s killing) will be judged and given a fair trial.”
Mr Ghoga, who spoke in Arabic and whose remarks were translated by an official interpreter, was responding to specific questions about Gaddafi’s death and potential abuses.
Until now, the NTC had adamantly claimed Gaddafi was killed in crossfire after he was captured in Sirte, his hometown and final bastion.
Disquiet has grown internationally over how the former dictator met his end, after NTC fighters hauled him out of a culvert where he was hiding following NATO air strikes on the convoy in which he had been trying to flee his falling hometown.
Mobile phone videos show him still alive at that point.
Subsequent footage shows a now-bloodied but walking Gaddafi being hustled through a frenzied crowd, before he disappears in the crush and the crackle of gunfire can be heard.
This morning the NTC said that Saif al-Islam, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court, had managed to flee into neighbouring Niger.
Saif appeared to be trying to hand himself in to the court, but an NTC official told the Reuters news agency that he had not yet found a way to do so.
“There is a contact with Mali and with South Africa and with another neighbouring country to organise his exit … He hasn’t got confirmation yet, he’s still waiting,” said the official, who declined to be named.
Meanwhile, the UN Security Council unanimously voted to end the mandate for international military action in Libya, ending another chapter in the war against Gaddafi’s toppled regime.
In New York, meanwhile, a Security Council resolution ordered the end of the authorisation for a no-fly zone and action to protect civilians from 11:59pm Libyan time on October 31.
Security Council Resolution 2016 also eased an international arms embargo, freezes on the assets of the Libyan National Oil Corp, and virtually all restrictions on the central bank and other key institutions.
It also ended the ban on international flights by Libyan registered planes.
NATO’s decision-making body, the North Atlantic Council, is to meet in Brussels later today to formally declare an end to its seven-month air war.